Chapter Twenty.

Chapter 20.

Slowly turning around, I came face-to-face with Chase. My eyes widen and my heart was sent on a wild frenzy, and I knew, without a second doubt, he could hear my heart pounding.

"Sophia, I missed you," he cried, launching himself on to me. "Where were you? I searched everywhere for you!"

 Wrapping both his arms around me, he pressed me on to his chest. I couldn't help but hug him back, because even though my mind was shouting at me to move away, my body wanted him . . .needed him.

Even though I would never admit it, I had missed him. There was that bond between us . . .that made me want to practically rape him here on the floor and fuck him like crazy. But then again, he was like my other half. He was the burger and I was the bun. He was the lolly and I was the pop. He was the zig and I was the zag.

We'd never be truly happy without each other. We'd never be complete without each other. Werewolves were meant to be fiercely loyal to each other- especially to their mates- and that's why we'd experience the pain if a mate had slept without someone else, or worse, if they had marked someone else. It was supposed to never allow mates to 'cheat' on each other.

Even down to our personalities, we were made to fit our mates. We were perfect for each other, and mates rarely rejected one another, but it did happen. And when it did, it completely broke the person who was rejected, and eventually they would kill themselves. I would've probably died as well, if it was for the twins, who saved my wolf from dying.

But you would always love your mate. There would always be a little love in you for them, despite what they have done to you. It's just the way we are- the way we were made.

"Momma, who's that?" Kaden asked, tugging my shorts. Just like that, I was pulled out of my daze, and my actions reflected that. I pulled away from him, and pushed him away at the same time. He stumbled slightly as I caught him off guard.

On his face was the biggest smile I had ever seen. His eyes were bright, gleaming with happiness, love, care but also a hint of sorrow and guilt. He looked unbelievably happy right now, despite the dark rings he had under his eyes, as if he hadn't been sleeping properly in a while now. His hair and clothes were dishevelled and a slight stubble grew on his cheeks and chin.

But right now, he looked like the happiest man on Earth. He looked like he'd won the lottery or something. He looked ecstatic, a bit like how I looked like when I first found out he was my mate.

"Momma, who is this man?" Charis asked, coming to stand next to Kaden. She didn't look wary or the least uncomfortable, in fact, she looked slightly pleased?

"Momma, who is this man?" Kaden said now a little louder in a slightly aggressive tone. I could feel a little bit of Alpha power radiating from him. He was always protective when it came to me or Charis, even if he was very young, I knew he was stronger than a normal, human ten-year-old.

Crouching down to the twins' levels, he looked at them both with pride and love. He smiled at them, and without another thought, Charis smiled back at him. Kaden looked at him, studying his face carefully, before smiling back as well. Even though he had never met them before, they had a special connection between them. All parents had this bond with their pups. It made them feel safe and secure.

Chase looked up at me, as if asking permission: his eyes were pleading with me. It was wrong to keep their father away from them, no matter what he had done to be, because no matter what, this wasn't about me. It was about them.

Charis and Kaden.

Maybe when they were older and asked why their parents weren't together, I would tell them what happened. If they didn't mind, then they could keep in contact with Chase, but if they did mind, then they could break off all ties with him. At the end of the day, it was their decisions and I wasn't going to choose it for them.