Prologue

I never thought it would be like this.

I always thought that was fantasy.

But it can happen to anyone.

                     I ran. Ran faster than I ever had. Through the forest, past everything I ever knew. I leaped through the berry bushes that weren't as sweet, ran through branches that weren't cinnamon.

I never thought she was that smart.

I really thought I could've made it.

But I guess that was wrong.

                    I laid there, quietly grinning as I took my last breath. She ran, but it wasn't the end. There's no such thing as an end. Only beginnings. And this was my new beginning.

I never thought corruption was real.

I always thought it was fake.

But then again, magic isn't.

                 I watched my arms grab them. Tear the fur off their flesh. I watched blood pour out. A screech came out of my mouth. I no longer owned myself. I sat back in my mind, crying as destruction happened in the eyes that were once mine.

I never thought life could be sour.

I always thought it was sweet.

But there's always sour candy.

                  My frozen tears wet the snow. I curled up as my snout turned blue, purple, red. All I had was my mind left. My paws began to burn. Frost bite was the least of my worries. I heard her voice. That was the last I ever heard.

I never thought peace was a thing.

I always felt destruction.

But there's always an escape, I guess.

               The wind blew off my hat as I fell. The river approached my face, and for the first time I smiled. I heard their screams, I heard their crying. What's so bad about happiness?

I never thought I could be lost.

I was always at home.

But maybe I was always lost...

              I crawled through the never-ending green terrain, desperately looking for my house. People said my house was in the middle of nowhere, now I am. I guess I could make another... it's not like I'm going anywhere.