Chapter 2: Good News

Veronica smiled as Jason struggled through the door with two heavy suitcases. "Honey, I'm home."

She laughed and rushed over to hug him. "You're so original." She kissed him. "Did you have a great time?"

He closed the front door and rested his bags against the wall. "Sure did. Did you and Violet have a good time?"

Veronica placed her hand on her stomach. "We always do. I told her about the first time we met."

Jason rolled his eyes. "Oh, lord." The two of them laughed. Veronica walked into the kitchen and asked him if he wanted anything to eat. Jason declined. He was still stuffed from eating at Hardy's. He just wanted to unpack and relax with his girlfriend. 

Once everything was put away, Veronica called Jason into the bedroom for a talk. Jason cringed at the idea, thinking about the fun he had two nights ago. Did she know? He stepped into the room, his heart pounding. "Honey, look!" She said holding up two papers that came in the mail. "My artwork got accepted into Vices in Italy! With my permission, they want to expose my art to the public in one of the most famous art museums in Italy. This Saturday."

Jason sat down next to her on the bed, relieved that this wasn't about his affair. Feeling proud and overly guilty at the same time, he hugged her. "That's great!"

She slowly held up the other paper. "This is an offer from them. They'll pay me to go to school there and work with some of the greatest artists of our time."

Jason frowned. "Well, we can't move to Italy, babe."

Veronica gave him a weak smile. "I know, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime. Not many people get this chance and I wouldn't say no to this. Would you?"

Jason looked at her with a hard look on his face. "How long are you going to be there?"

"Three years," she said. "But I'll have the baby here. They said they'll let me come back three months before the baby is born. I'll just have online classes until then." She laid her hand on his thigh. "I know this is sudden, but my dreams are finally coming true."

In that moment, Jason felt a tiny bit of jealousy toward his girlfriend. He knew his artwork wasn't as good as Veronica's, but he wished that he had gotten some kind of special opportunity, as well. He forced a smile onto his face. "I understand," he said in a low voice. "What about the apartment?"

"We'll talk to your parent's about it. Maybe you can stay with them in the meantime." She lifted her hand from his leg. "To save money."

"I guess." Jason sighed. He did not want to live with his parents again. They never supported his dreams of becoming an artist. As a matter of fact, they hated artwork unless it had to do with their religion. The Harmon's had always wanted their son to grow up to be a preacher toward what they believed in. Jason, on the other hand, did not want to be a preacher. He always wondered why they couldn't just accept their own son the way he was and be proud that he wasn't some drug addict living on the streets, stealing bread for his next meal. 

"On second thought, I'll just try to get a smaller place," he said.

"Are you sure?" Veronica asked.

"Yeah. My parents are not an option right now." He laughed. Veronica laughed, too, and then hugged him.

"Thank you so much," she said.

He pulled away. "So, I guess we should start reading books about long distance relationships," he joked.

"You don't have to make it more depressing than it is." She laughed.

***

The next morning, Veronica woke up late. She looked at the clock. 1 PM. She couldn't believe it. Never in her life had she slept like that. Jason walked inside. "Well good morning, bum."

Veronica sat up and leaned against the bed frame. She raised a hand in the air, moving it as she talked. "All of that banging noise coming from your office kept me up all night."

"I wasn't in my office last night. I put my suitcases in there that's it," he replied.

She massaged her temples. "Did you bring home a dog or something? Something in there was making noise."

Jason shrugged. "Beats me. I left you some pancakes and sausage on the table. I have to go to class now. See you after work."

"Okay. Bye," she said.

***

"Fuck," Jason yelled, walking through the door.  Veronica put down her book, What to expect while you're expecting.

"What's wrong?" she asked, walking up to him.

"They let people off today at the job, and I was one of them." He punched the wall. "Fuck!"

"Jason, calm down," she said. "You're very smart. You'll get a better job."

Jason was huffing and puffing. "Now I definitely have to move back with those old hags."

Veronica rubbed his back. "It's only temporary, babe." 

He walked away from her and sat down on the couch. She joined him. "Well, we both better start packing I guess." Depression flooded his mind. Moving back with his parents would be a pain in the ass, but at least he'd get his own side of the house and wouldn't see them much.

Veronica smiled at him. "Don't worry. One day it'll just be me, you, and little Violet in a big mansion."

"A mansion?" Jason snickered. "As if."

She nodded. "I'm serious. I have a good feeling about things. Everything's going to work out." She leaned on his shoulder. "I can feel it."