Chapter 66: Five

Tap Tap Tap.

Feet slapped against the floor, desperate to find a hiding spot. I already knew who the killer was, or at least had a good guess. Not wanting to hide near the kitchen, I successfully made it to stairs and slowly made my way up. I froze and began thinking about the best hiding spot. Should I have hidden behind a vase, a door, in my room, or in the bathroom?

The bathroom sounded good to me, but not the one on the second floor. I eased my way up to the third floor and managed to find the guest bathroom. Once inside, I closed the door half way leaving room for me to run in case I had to. I reached out my hands to feel around, mostly checking if I was alone. Kneeling down, I let my hands explore the bathtub. It was empty, but I didn't dare to sit inside. I had this thought about my neck being slit open and my blood flooding the bathtub. The idea of me slowly dying inside of a tub full of my own blood sent chills down my spine.

Instead, I hid behind the door. If someone would walk inside, I would simply walk or run right out. As I stood there, I had this sudden desire to cry and rant about what I was going through. All of this was happening, I knew, but I just couldn't believe it. I held back the tears, telling myself it wouldn't help. It was too late, and the game had been far over for me. I just had to get my friends out of here.

Nothing was happening, and I even wondered if the murder had moved. For the first time in minutes, I heard no footsteps, no one breathing, and no strange sounds. I was almost confident. However, that confidence left me when I heard moaning and groaning coming from outside of the bathroom door. It sounded like someone was struggling to talk past the strings on their lips. After that, I heard the sound of someone's foot kicking against the wall over and over. Slaps, groans, and moans that obviously meant a struggle. A great one that came with agony. I almost wanted to go out there and help, but I had to win. I couldn't give in. Not yet.

Standing as still as possible, I waited for the person to stop kicking the wall. When they finally did, I stopped breathing. It was too good to think I wouldn't be found, but someone was standing right outside of my door. I heard them breathing hard out of their nose as if they trying to blow out something stuck inside of it. 

I mentally tried to calm myself down because the sound of my heart seemed to be louder than the person's breathing. Someone pushed the door in making it touch me. I held in my stomach along with my breath while the individual walked inside. I heard the person feel around in the tub. My stomach dropped when the person started humming something that sounded like they were trying to say something. For almost a whole minute, the person inside murmured to themselves, giving my hiding spot away. However, I figured it was the murderer because a person hiding wouldn't do that.

I slowly placed my hand over my mouth because of an incoming sneeze. It came, then left, then came again and left. However, it came back a final time, but I couldn't hold it. Knowing I was about to sneeze, I ran from behind the door and into the hallway to let it out. The person in the bathroom had obviously heard me and began running. 

He or she didn't have great coordinance because they kept running into things. By following the rails, I was able to get back to the second floor in one peace. My little bit peace ended when I felt something sharp slide into my foot. I heard the person behind me walking down the stairs. With the stinging pain in my foot, I kept walking but ended up stepping on more glass. I let out a small moan that was loud enough for anyone on the second floor to hear. The pain was excruciating, and I felt the wet blood flowing out. I staggered to my room and quickly shut the door, then collapsed onto the floor.

As soon as I sat down, I noticed a small light coming from the closest. That little light started moving closer towards me. "Don't worry, I'm going to get you out of here." The voice said. It was a male voice and definitely, not Jasper's. Whoever it was pulled me into my closet and shut the door. The light got brighter, revealing the person who had dragged me. I felt a hand run over my bare feet, and after that, the pain was no longer there. The light met with my face, and I was finally able to see the individual.

It was Ryan.

The light was glowing from his hand. As I looked into his eyes, I saw that he looked different. His face got skinnier, and he looked like he was starving or worse, dying. I felt the strings slide off of my lips. "Ryan?" I whispered. "Is it really you?"

"We have to go while we can," Ryan said.

"I can't," I admitted. "My father will kill my friends."

"I can't go back and get them now," he said. 

"Then get them during the next game."

"We have to go NOW. What if there is no next game for them," he argued.

"I'm not leaving my-"

I was cut off by the sound of the door opening. I grabbed Ryan by the collar of his shirt. "Put the strings back on me, then save my friends. Get them first, then come back for me," I pleaded. 

I thought someone would open the door, but instead, something else happened. "I found a dead body!" Someone yelled.

"Violet," he said. "I'm going to get you and your friends out. I promise. Just hang on." Without warning, his trembling lips pressed against mine then quickly departed. "I love you, and I'm sorry for everything," he said, then disappeared in front of my eyes, forgetting to put the strings back on my lips.

The closet door opened, revealing Mariel. She immediately hugged me. I thought about pushing her away just because I assumed she was the killer, but I couldn't. I missed her so much, and her tears meant that she missed me too. She grabbed my hand and lead me into the hall then quickly covered my eyes before I saw the dead body on the floor. I shook her hand away from my face and looked. It was Kellin, my Aunt Denise's son. I almost got on my knees and grabbed him, but someone yanked me from behind.

"What happened to your stitches?" My father asked.

I placed my hands on my lips and pretended as if I had no clue what he was talking about. "I guess they fell off during the-"

The stitches formed on my lips again and I was unable to speak again. With nothing else said, all of us walked downstairs into the meeting room. I was relieved to see Tate, Jasper, and Coraline still alive. 

"So, who was the killer?" My father asked.

All hands pointed at Mariel, even mine. However, Coraline had her hand down. All of us slowly looked at her. I let my hand fall then pointed at Coraline. She nodded her head. 

"Awesome job, Coraline," my dad said with a smile.

The cards appeared in our hands. When I saw mine, I stopped breathing. I was it. I was the murderer...

"Lights off! Begin."