Chapter 47: Tequila

Days.

Days had passed and turned into weeks.

Weeks had passed and turned into a month, or at least I thought it was a month.

I had no idea. All I remember was being carried to this room where I haven't left. A room where I pulled the covers over my head and tried to pretend that it was all a horrible dream. A dream that I knew was my life–my life without him.

The bond had broken. Every day it was like it broke over and over and over again. It broke yet it was still there–small but still alive, torturing me by reminding me that my soul belonged to him. To the one I had been separated from.

Eve told me that it would do that. That the bond breaks when our souls are separated between this world and the one we left, only to be made whole when our mates joined us. She would lay with me, let me cry, growl, snarl out and curse the moon as my body floated in a sea of pain until I felt numb.

Until I didn't know if there was an emotion outside of this.

So I closed my eyes and prayed that it would go away. I prayed that he would shake me away with his blue-green eyes, a cup of coffee in his hand while he asked me if I wanted blobs for breakfast.

There was a knock over the whispers outside my door. "Sweetie?"

I groaned in my pillows. I knew people had come to see me, but through all the tears and pain it was hard to remember who. There was another knock as someone shushed someone else outside. "Sweetie, can I come in?"

"Mom?" I croaked out as the door opened quietly.

Footsteps walked over to me as the bed dipped before me. Someone pulled the covers back–someone that was my mother. I felt my throat clench as she smiled down at me with weepy eyes. "Mom?"

"Hello sweetheart," she breathed out before I started to sob again. "It's ok, it's ok, I'm here," she rushed out as she laid beside me, tossing her long dark hair braided behind her back while she pulled me to her.

"It's hurts mom."

"I know baby," she replied as she kissed at the tears on my cheeks. "Oh moon how I know."

"What do I do?"

"Right now?" she looked at me, her eyes more like an ocean than a storm of blue, but her features were so like mine. "It's ok to cry right now, you can cry all you want."

I bit back another sob until I ended up crying myself to sleep in her arms. I slept with dreams of blue-green eyes tormenting me, I think I even cried in my sleep. Eventually someone gently shook me awake; someone that made me for a second think it was him.

"Charlotte." I turned to look up at my father while my mother sat up in the bed. He sighed and pushed some of my hair back. "I'm sorry baby girl. I'm so sorry."

I blinked and curled into my mom's lap while my father pulled at his black hair. "You can't succumb to it Charlotte."

"Succumb to what?"

"The sadness, the craze," he answered quietly. "It can be addicting. I know it is, but you can't baby."

"Why? Can you go rogue here?"

My father nodded sadly. "What do you think the shadows are?"

I sucked in a breath then wiped my eyes. "What do I do dad?"

"Well, Susannah has some ideas. Do you feel up to talking about it? Getting out of bed?"

"You should come eat something, I think Margaret baked something," my mother added.