7: His Wife

Natalie's POV
"Who did this to you?", a slight whisper came from Nolan. My body stretched against the cold sofa and I suddenly felt his presence leave the room. I wanted to say a name, but I knew the rules, and I knew that 'my father', Daniel wasn't afraid of showing me that I needed to follow them. He loved his power over me and everyone who walked this damned earth.

I cuddled up against the pillow next to mine, and I knew he was right, it wasn't just the mattress. That intoxicating smell was comforting and as much as I despised the man wearing it, the scent brought me safety and security. Something about this total stranger told me that he wouldn't hurt me, like Daniel did.

"You love my pillow", Nolan gawked as I quickly opened my eyes to the bright sun and the shadow of the man. I quickly released the pillow into his hands and he climbed into bed under the million of weighted layers.

"No wonder the Ice Princess's room is like an icebox", he commented and I began to push him out of the bed. Screaming relinquished from him and he scooted to the far edge of the bed.

"Okay and a night person definitely", he readjusted himself and began writing in between what looks like a magazine.

"What is this logic you have for turning the air condition to freezing, when its already twenty-seven degrees (Fahrenheit) outside, and you're very bundled up, care to share?", he asked as I began reaching for his little entry of notes.

"What are you writing?", I asked trying to pull the sheet down to me, but instead he yanked it away and leaving the comfort of this bed was something I hadn't planned to do.

"I'll show you my project if you tell me your logic", he asked reasonably. His mannerisms scared me this morning, he was being nice and annoying, but nice.

"Fine, well when I lived alone, I didn't have AC and so I would bury myself in comforters and blankets, just feeling the warmth makes me feel safe and comforting", I confided in him. I was also alone my whole life, and I used my warmth as a way to feel that I wasn't alone, but I always wanted to feel how it felt with someone else, just our bodies wrapped around each other's finding warmth in each other.

"Your turn", I arched my back and he scooted closer to me as I saw the little gadget placed on his phone.

"Well I'm just doing this for Avery, but she wanted me to do a compatibly survey", he said and he showed me the rest of the quiz. I felt like a teenager as we scrolled through the questions marking each one of them.

"So if we get zero percent, we're definitely getting a divorce", he set the rules and I clicked on the scale button. The number surprised me, we had picked different answers for each question and the bold one-hundred percent was something I didn't expect, for complete opposites.

"Looks like 'there is no one more perfect in the world than you'", he read from the website and I felt my stomach bubble, we weren't perfect, but I liked just knowing there was someone who wanted to know me.

"We're not complete strangers now, this is progress right", he said and I could see his calm blue eyes, reminded me of the ocean.

"I'm still mad", I rolled over to the side of the bed. I was mad, pissed. I was going to take this marriage seriously and instead he treated me like he didn't have any obligations or respect towards me. I couldn't lose him though, my father would kill her and me, and so here I was torn. I could sense Nolan reaching my heart, and for a girl with little to no interactions with people, receiving attention made me feel like a girl in love. And that scared me the most.

"I'm sorry, it was wrong of me to bring her back here, and I know it'll take some time for us to work it out, but we could be friends or anything you want, I am fully committed to you", he earnestly said, his words were true and I knew he meant them. We would be living together, whether I liked him or not and for my sister's safety I hope he would never leave me.

"Don't let me down", I whispered just soft enough for him to hear.

"I won't", he whispered back and I prayed he would keep his promise.

"A guy did this to me and no don't bother finding him, I don't want to ever see him again", I lied. I lied to myself too many times that the pain became real, but never, I never had to lie to someone else.

"Let me increase security, take the driver, and if you'd like I can go with you next time", he offered and I thanked him.

"You're nice", I rolled over facing his blue eyes and sharp jawline.

"It's a rarity from me", he propped himself against the head board as he stared into my daring eyes.

"So tell me can the Ice Princess be nice?", he said and I could sense this banter would always be a thing for us, it would either make us the best of friends, the worst of enemies or something magical.

"I can be very nice, I forgave you and I let you off the hook easy, I can say that if we actually knew each other you'd be out of the house and I would never talk to you again, but lucky for you I was being nice", he agreed with my explanation.

The phone began ringing from his pocket as he pulled it out and left the room. He returned shortly looking distraught.

"You okay?", I asked him as he nodded sternly.

"Just some investors, that I really need to woo", he said frustrated. He played with the comforters label in an attempt to avoid eye contact, I can tell he needed help.

"I have a couple of things I could do, if you want help", I told him as he let out a frustrating laugh, he definitely was upset.

"These guys are people you wouldn't know how to woo", he mocked me and simply undermined my abilities.

"I know more than you think", I said as I could tell whatever made him angry was now being taken out on me.

"You are a goody two-shoe, virgin, these guys just want booze and strippers, trust me you wouldn't know how to please them", and there he went on again, we were just getting somewhere.

"You don't know me", I said vaguely. I wished a I could pick the part of his mind that felt like he knew me.

"You're right I don't know you. Which is why this was an absolute mistake", he said and got up from the bed. Everything we worked on for the past day was gone, vanished into the air. He left the room and by the sound of the door opening he was gone.