Dacquoise

Soft lofi filled the cafe, intermingling with the savor of freshly baked pastries and the aroma of coffee beans. Light filtered through the glass windows, making the white interior glow with a softness that was unknown to most. Plants made the air smell fresh, flowers and the clocks on the wall made the atmosphere feel like another dimension. However, what stood out the most was the barista behind the white bar.

"Halmeoni, you're usual?" The elderly woman nodded, a smile on her face as she handed the young man her card. Black painted nails took the red debit card from the shaking fingers and swiped it on the iPad, giving the grandmother a discount.

"Why do you always pick black, Yuki?" She croaked the question, no judgment in her tone for she was honestly curious. Yuki smiled from behind the countertop, thin fingers delicately moving across the various ingredients in front of him.

"Hmm, it goes well with everything I suppose," He chuckled. Grabbing two earl grey tea bags, he placed them in the white mug and poured the hot water in. Allowing the tea to steep, he rushed over to the pastries and grabbed a pastry pinwheel, and placed it on a porcelain plate and popped it in the microwave.

"You should do a red next." The grandmother commented. Yuki raised an eyebrow, a quirky smile on his lips as he strolled back to the steeping tea. Grabbing the vanilla syrup, he expertly poured it so a leisurely amount escaped the bottle.

"Why red?" He then grabbed the honey and stirred in two spoonfuls. The grandmother smiled, "Because it'll match your eyes." Yuki laughed, placing the teacup on a tray along with the now warm strawberry pinwheel pastry.

"Here you go, Halmeoni." He passed her the tray so she could take it to her usual spot which was right underneath the flourishing pothos. The grandmother thanked him and took her tray. Chuckling, he walked back to the register to continue setting up.

"Mornin' Boss!"

"Good morning Baram-ssi," He greeted his coworker. Her large smile on her face despite it being 6 am, and a hop in her step. Yuki normally wouldn't judge because he has been here since 4:30, but he didn't have classes after, or before, work. Unlike all of his employees.

"How did your midterm go?" The brunette growled as she tied the apron around her waist, her brows furrowed and a snarl on her face. Yuki smiled reassuringly, "Don't worry, there's always the next one." Baram shrieked quietly, stomping her foot on the ground and puffing her cheeks.

"Yuki-oppa, that professor is so evil!" She screeched, reaching under the sink to grab the glass cleaner and rag.

"One of the students had to go to the nurse's office during the exam, so obviously we should get more time right?" Yuki nodded, reaching into one of the drawers to take out the teacup sets.

"Well, that professor just said 'too bad,' and made us turn it in!" She ferociously scrubbed the glass, venting all her anger on the poor surface. Yuki chuckled, "What a guy."

"An evil guy!" Yuki laughed, as did the grandmother in the corner of the cafe, making Baram even huffier.

"Yuki-oppa! It isn't funny! That class is already hard, 'm not sure I'll pass," The college student pouted. Yuki gave the girl a smile, "Don't say that Baram-ssi, I'm sure you did fine."

"But it's English!"

"I told you can practice with me if you want." Baram groaned when Yuki spoke the language, irritated that her boss was fluent in the language. Huffing, she moved to the other display case, "I already get enough of it with that devil teacher. I don't want to hear the language anymore." Chuckling, Yuki nodded, "Okay, okay."