Chapter 19: After Passing

It's been a year ever since Doc's passing. It felt like yesterday just like for so many of us, including me and C/N, who was now a teenager instead of a child. She was technically still a child since she was under 18 and 21. I was in fact 60. I arrived in Radiator Springs years ago at the age of 57 or so. Your choice. It was not the same anymore as it used to be. I mean, we all lost a judge, a mayor, a mentor, and a doctor of the town. C/N lost a (grand) father figure while I lost a husband. I refuse to re-marry again as Doc was the only one that showed interest and love to me for who I was and not like a weird alien. 

Radiator Springs was still the same. Clients still came but are aware of Doc's passing as it came on the news. I was even interviewed. Ever since Doc's death, I refuse to come out a lot to the public. It meant that I changed. Death can cause so much damage to loved ones. Yes, I lost my grandparents, my parents, and others, but why did Doc's death cause so much damage to me? Let me tell you one thing: love can change you. When I met Doc, he was grumpy like the others told me but then they realized he began to show love and affection towards me. I realized it much later. He was not only my husband but also my best friend. I also kept the note close to me as I didn't open it. When should I read it? 

I was currently in Doc's garage, keeping myself hidden. Or should I say our garage? I stayed there after all. C/N still also slept in the garage but the small human Hudson wanted to help out in the store of Luigi and Guido. She wanted to move out as she wasn't small anymore to sleep with her mother. And I completely understand this. I granted and gave permission for her to sleep at the tire store since both Luigi and Guido became godfathers of C/N (in honor for CarsFanFudge95). But that left me alone in thoughts. At the beginning of Doc's death, Lightning was luckily free for a while from racing and mourned Doc with others. He even came to me for comfort and to ask questions about him. That only happened when I didn't have attacks of panic and crying. If Lightning detected me from having one, he would leave me alone, which I was so grateful for. I needed to be alone to process things. Your lovely author (Olivia200312) also experienced panic attacks after the death of her grandfather on her mother's side. It took her perhaps a year or two to feel back to normal again. Yes, she would have an attack sometimes, but not very much, which is good news.

I looked around through the boxes and I found something. I took it out and there was a framed picture. It was of me and Doc after we got married. I didn't mind having a ring since this was not a human world. But I do have a good luck ring on my finger, which I plan to give it to C/N when I reach my death point or perhaps soon while I'm alive because C/N talked a lot about being a racer. But can she do it? Can my little Hudson succeed? But Lightning was still racing and fast too. What if C/N falls off? I had so many questions that I quickly woke up and looked at the framed picture. We both looked happy together that I felt tears running down my cheeks. I sniffed. I began silently crying but then I remember, Lightning might be here any moment now, back home with us from racing. I heard he became a four-time Piston Cup champion and I was so proud of him. He was technically the superstar of this town. 

I whipped my tears away and looked at the picture. So many memories... I traced with my finger on the glass gently and that's when the door opened and I placed the framed picture back in the box before looking who it was. "Lightning?"

Lightning smiled gently at me. "Hey, Y/N."

I couldn't help but snicker. Yes, I laughed a few times but not a lot ever since Doc's passing. But Lightning looked a little bit of a mess, probably went to have fun with Mater. "Mater forced you?"

Lightning chuckled. "Yeah. But I wanted to make him happy, though."

I nodded. "I understand, Lightning. You want to make everybody happy."

Lightning drove a little closer and looked at the box that I was sitting next to. He immediately knew what I was doing. He looked soft at me and I sighed. He was not a stupid car. He knew that I was looking through stuff belonging to Doc. "You looking through stuff?"

"... Yeah."