|| The Burrow

⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇

⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇

Y/N closed the trunk, double-checking to ensure it was securely locked. Taking her place in the driver's seat, she glanced over at Hermione, who sat in the passenger seat with crossed arms, gazing out of the window. Harry and Ron, nestled in the back, seemed half-asleep.

The air between Y/N and Hermione had been strained since the previous night. Y/N sensed tension emanating from Hermione, who responded with only brief, one-word answers. Knowing that pushing the issue could lead to another argument, Y/N opted to give Hermione the space she seemed to need.

As Y/N started the car, the engine roared to life. With a simple button click, the convertible's hardtop roof smoothly sealed shut to make sure their hair wouldn't be ruffled too badly while driving.

The engine hummed as Y/N began to step on the gas, the occasional breeze tousling their hair even with the roof closed. The rhythmic sound of tires against the pavement filled the silence, punctuated only by the subtle shifts of her friends in the backseat.

Glancing at Hermione, Y/N noticed her deep in thought, staring out into the passing scenery. Y/N's fingers drummed on the steering wheel, wrestling with the desire to break the silence.

"Hermione," Y/N said softly, reaching for her hand.

"What is it?" Hermione replied, glancing over at Y/N.

"I care about you," Y/N murmured softly, her fingers reaching out for Hermione's hand. "You know that, right?"

Hermione nodded, a weary sigh escaping her lips as she stared down at her feet.

The silence remained, growing heavier as the car cruised along the road. But a few miles down the road, Y/N couldn't resist any longer. "Hermione," she began tentatively, "we don't have to talk about last night if you're not ready. But I.. I'm—I wouldn't mind talking about us."

"No need to push, Y/N," Hermione replied, her grip on Y/N's hand tightening slightly. "If you want to keep things casual, I'll wait."

"Well, what about what you want?" Y/N inquired, a hint of uncertainty evident in her tone.

"I want you, and if you want more time—then I'll wait," Hermione replied, but the look in her eyes was different.

"I don't want to keep you hanging," Y/N pressed, her voice wavering.

Hermione nodded again, offering reassurance. "I know you don't."

Glancing at Hermione through the rearview mirror, Y/N couldn't shake the gnawing guilt. Everything had been going well but she just had to mess things up like she always did. All it would take was for her to ask Hermione to be her girlfriend, and they could continue as they were. But the words were lodged in her throat.

Y/N wondered if things wouldn't have changed between them if she just asked the question, the thought sitting in the back of her mind.

⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇