|| 42. Gillyweed (UN-EDITED)

Y/N walked down the familiar halls of Hogwarts, her footsteps echoing in the quiet solitude

Y/N walked down the familiar halls of Hogwarts, her footsteps echoing in the quiet solitude. The towering shelves of books in the library awaited her arrival, where she was set to meet Harry, Ron, and Agil for a study session. Lost in her thoughts, she was abruptly interrupted by a stern voice that sliced through the air from behind her.

"Miss Crimson."

Startled, Y/N turned on her heels to face the source of the commanding voice. It was none other than Professor McGonagall, the strict yet fair head of Gryffindor House. Y/N's confusion was evident in her furrowed brows and questioning gaze as the esteemed professor approached her with purpose.

"What do you need, Professor?" Y/N inquired, her tone respectful yet tinged with curiosity. She braced herself, preparing for a serious conversation or perhaps an important task assigned by the venerable professor. McGonagall locked eyes with Y/N, her expression unreadable, as if she held the weight of a significant revelation.

"I have a question for you," McGonagall stated, her voice serious and unwavering. Y/N braced herself, understanding the gravity of the situation as McGonagall emphasized the importance of honesty. Y/N nodded, her curiosity piqued. "Uhm, sure. What is it, Professor?" she responded, her tone filled with a mix of anticipation and readiness.

"If multiple Hogwarts students' were hanging on a thread, and you had to save one first, who would it be?" McGonagall posed the thought-provoking question, causing Y/N to furrow her eyebrows in confusion. The weight of such a decision settled heavily upon her, as she considered the lives and well-being of her fellow students.

"Hermione," Y/N responded without hesitation, her voice carrying a deep sense of loyalty and admiration for her girlfriend. McGonagall, however, shook her head, indicating that Hermione was not the answer she sought.

"Other than Miss Granger," McGonagall clarified, her gaze fixed on Y/N, awaiting her revised response. Y/N's mind raced as she contemplated the lives intertwined with her own, searching for the most just and compassionate choice.

After a moment of contemplation, Y/N spoke with conviction, "Agil," she replied, her voice carrying a mix of determination and empathy.

 McGonagall nodded, acknowledging Y/N's decision with a measured expression. "Very well," she said, a note of approval evident in her voice.

Curiosity brimming within Y/N, she couldn't help but inquire further. "Why?" she asked, her voice tinged with genuine interest, eager to understand the reasoning behind McGonagall's questioning.

"Just wondering," McGonagall cryptically replied, her tone holding an air of mystery. With those enigmatic words, she turned and began to walk away, leaving Y/N to contemplate the true meaning behind their conversation. Y/N furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, her mind awash with questions as she watched McGonagall's retreating figure.

As Y/N continued to walk, her steps guided by both curiosity and the weight of the unanswered question, she couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to McGonagall's inquiry than met the eye.