|| 41. Mermaids (UN-EDITED)

Myrtle hovered higher in the air, her ghostly form appearing both mischievous and intrigued

Myrtle hovered higher in the air, her ghostly form appearing both mischievous and intrigued. "I was circling a blocked drain the other day," the ghost began, her voice trailing off as she floated about. "...and I could swear I saw a hint of Polyjuice Potion," she taunted, fixing her gaze intensely on Y/N.

A hint of suspicion danced in Y/N's eyes as she processed Myrtle's words. "Polyjuice Potion?" she questioned, her curiosity piqued. Myrtle nodded affirmatively, her translucent figure swaying gently in the air.

"Not being a bad girl again, are you, Y/N?" Myrtle asked playfully, a sly smile forming on her ethereal face. Y/N's eyebrows furrowed as she contemplated Myrtle's insinuation, her mind attempting to make sense of the ghost's cryptic comment.

"Polyjuice potion?" Y/N repeated, seeking further clarification. Myrtle nodded once again, her eyes gleaming with a mixture of mischief and knowledge. "Kicked the habit, have you, Myrtle?" Y/N inquired, a sense of curiosity and caution intertwining in her voice.

With an affirmative nod, Myrtle confirmed her departure from her past indulgences. Y/N's mind raced with possibilities, contemplating the implications of Myrtle's revelations. She turned her attention back to the earlier suggestion from Myrtle.

"Myrtle, did you say 'try putting it in the water'?" Y/N sought confirmation, her voice tinged with anticipation. The ghost nodded, her ethereal form quivering with excitement.

Before Y/N could further unravel the mystery, Myrtle suddenly let out a high-pitched squeal, diving headfirst into the water. Y/N couldn't help but giggle at the ghost's playful antics, although her confusion still lingered.

"That's what he did," Myrtle responded, her voice emanating from within the water. Y/N's eyes widened, realization dawning upon her. "The boy," Myrtle clarified, her ethereal form inching closer to Y/N. Y/N instinctively grabbed more bubbles, attempting to preserve her modesty as she felt a mix of curiosity and unease wash over her.

"The handsome one," Myrtle trailed off, her ethereal form lingering a few inches away from Y/N. The ghost's words hit Y/N like a jolt of electricity. 

"Cedric," she deadpanned, her mind racing to connect the dots. Y/N's gaze darted between Myrtle and the egg, her heart pounding with anticipation.

Hermione, standing by Y/N's side, shot Myrtle a fierce glare, her eyes practically shooting daggers at the mischievous ghost for encroaching upon her girlfriend's personal space. Y/N could sense Hermione's protectiveness and jealousy, causing a mix of emotions to stir within her.

With a small blush coloring her cheeks, Y/N hastily grabbed hold of the egg, feeling Hermione's intense presence beside her. The tension in the air was palpable as Y/N hesitated, unsure of what awaited her within the mysterious artifact.

"Uhm..." Y/N stammered, glancing at Myrtle with a mix of curiosity and unease. Sensing Y/N's hesitation, Myrtle's giggles echoed through the bathroom.