Getting To Know Each Other

Katherine

"Going over to Paul's?" Mother asked me one night when she saw me in a nice outfit, makeup done and hair straightened.

"I am. Don't wait up, this might be an overnight thing." I winked at her.

"Have fun, love." Mother called out to me as I ran to my car.

I sped over to his house as fast as I could. I knocked on his door. He answered, in boxer briefs. His hair is damp.

"I just got out of the shower." He notified me as I entered.

I took off my jacket and kissed him. He kissed me back with fierceness.

"Look at you." He eyed my entire body.

"I would say you definitely look better in this situation." I kissed him again. "And it's definitely because you are in simple boxers."

He laughed. "Are you hungry?"

"I am always hungry." I sat on his couch.

"Hence the attitude." He mumbled.

"What was that?" I turned back to him.

"I said I am going upstairs to get dressed and you decide on what to eat." He kissed my temple and went upstairs.

I sit back and literally debate. I am still debating when Brian comes downstairs in sweats and a T-shirt.

"I'm just going to order a pizza." He told me.

"Good call." I nodded.

"How was your day?" He asked.

"It was okay. I had a massage with my mum." I replied.

"How is she?" Brian asked.

"She is doing great. I really missed her." I told him.

The conversation paused as he ordered a large pie.

"What about your parents?" I asked, suddenly.

"Well, mom died about five years ago. We weren't really close. And my dad...who knows? I haven't seen him since I can remember."

"We should track him down." I suggested. "Give you a chance to see him."

"Nah. I am over it."

"He would've been proud as to who you've become."

"LAPD, got kicked off for letting a criminal go, a street racer, a FBI agent who quit because once again, I let a criminal go, was on the run for a year, worked with some more criminals and met a bad ass Special Agent, got free of the law and am now working for the biggest company in America and am dating an assassin." He listed.

"Like I said, you've come a long way. What made you want to become an officer?"

"Well, it was every little boy dream to become a cop. I think I just never lost interest, ya know? And the FBI sort of found me. I was not looking to be apart of the law any longer after the situation with Dom."

"What made you let Dom go?"

"I don't know. He wasn't a true born criminal. He just did bad things. And plus, he is a friend." Brian shrugged. "He's a good friend."

"How did you meet Rome?" I was interested in getting to know him.

"Well, we grew up together in Barstow. When I was a cop, he got busted and did three years. After that, he didn't trust me anymore."

"It was you that busted him?" I frowned.

"No. There was nothing I could do about it." Brian shook his head. "Anyway, we worked a case together to stop this high class drug dealer. And that's how the FBI found me."

I nodded, letting that sink in.

"What made you want to do what you do?"

"Well, I mean, I don't really enjoy killing people. I don't wake up everyday and look forward to it. But if someone crosses me...well that's on them. But I didn't want this career. I wanted to be a vet. I love animals."

"What's your favorite?" He asked.

"Dogs. Huskies are the cutest thing ever. I always wanted one."

"What's stopping you?" He asked.

"Because they are my soft spot. I can't be mad when I'm near a dog. Sometimes I like to brew in my rage." I told him.

"Oh, I know that." Brian nodded.

"What's your favorite animal?"

"I think I would have to say a cheetah. They are so fast."

"Sea creature?" I challenged.

"Oo." He seemed stunned. "That's hard because I love everything about the oceans. Even the creatures. I have to say a whale. You?"

"Orcas." I replied. "It sucks that they are kept in cages at Sea World."

"I know."

"Tell me Brian, where do you see yourself in ten years?" I asked suddenly.

He thought for a moment. "Wife. Kid. Maybe a dog. I have a Porche. And am still working for Nobody...simple. How about you?"

"I see myself waiting on top of building with a sniper in my hand-" I stop when I see he looks shocked. "I'm joking, you wanker. I do want a lovely home with a husband...maybe a kid if it isn't annoying."

He laughed.

"I do want the perfect life. I just don't think it was meant for me."

"Why's that?" He frowned.

"Have you met me?" I asked.

"Your not that bad once you get to actually know you. I just think you challenge people to see if they'll stick around. I've seen you push people away, hell you pushed me away. And I'm here."

"For now. But happens when we argue and I hurt your feelings? Are you going to stay?"

"Of course. Katherine, I've been waiting for you for a year. I doubt your tantrum will scare me off." He waved his hand. "And when I say things back, you can't just kick my ass. Couples go through things. It's the real ones that stick through them."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

The doorbell rang. The pizza is here.