We Are One

Katherine

"I guess I'm supposed to give you a speech or something congratulating you but I'm not because you don't deserve it." I told the newbies.

Everyone looked at me as we stood in the training room.

"You're in a elite organization that has plenty of you to go around so if anything you should be grateful I haven't booted you."

Brian gave me a look.

"Okay, Maggie." I handed her the framed certificate. "You'll be on the combat team. Since I'm going to be behind the scenes, we need as many people as we can get. You'll never compare to me but still."

Maggie took her award, sort of shocked.

"Thanos!" I threw his at him. "Same shit as Maggie. Luke, you as well. If you disappoint, your ass will be back on tech. Which brings me to the nerds, Germany and Guy I don't care to remember. You're on tech. Hopefully Tej has taught you a thing or two because I honestly think you guys are that bright but who knows?"

I felt nauseous.

"And that will be all ladies and gentlemen. Don't let me down because I'll have my brother off you. Okay? Good. Get set up. Combat, read up on past cases and protocols and shit. Obviously I don't follow a fucking rule book. Tech, get your system set up and find a desk. Bye."

I hurried out of the training room and into the nearest bathroom. I threw up viciously. My face was heated and tears ran down my cheeks. I heard the door open and hands held my hair back. I knew it wasn't Brian. I finished throwing up and sat back against the wall.

"So, you're pregnant." Alina crossed her arms. "Brian told us."

"Yup. Baby number four."

"You didn't tell me. I had to hear from Brian."

"Alina, what the fuck is it that I've done to you?" I threw my hands up. "Tell me."

She sighed. "You seeked help from everyone else but me. You cried to everyone else but me. You were losing your mind and I didn't even cross your mind once. You went to the extremes, dragging Kaleb down was by far beyond necessary and you didn't even stop to think that maybe just maybe your best friend could help you."

I stared at her.

"And now you're pregnant and you don't have the brains to tell me. I've loved your daughters since I laid eyes on them. They call you mommy, they call me ma. You suffered a miscarriage and I suffered, too. Come on, Kat. We're supposed to be one."

I patted the floor next to me and she sat down next to me. I linked my arm in hers.

"I trust you, Alina." I told her. "I trust you with my car, I trust you around my husband, I trust you with my kids...and I trust you with Kaleb. And I don't trust people very easily. So shut up. Stop the whining and bitching about me not being your other half. Because I am. So shut the fuck up or I will puke on you."

She gave me a small smile and rested her head on my shoulder. "I miss you."

"I miss you, too." I smiled.

"You okay?" She pushed her hair back.

"No. But am I ever okay?" I rolled my eyes.