Honeymoon Cut Short

Katherine

I came up from the water, Brian already there. We trend water quietly for a moment.

"It still feels surreal...us being married and what not." He told me quietly.

"Well it's been a week already so get used to it." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm trying. It's like the best dream I ever had."

"Or a nightmare. Have you met me?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Katherine, you know deep down you are a teddy bear." He waved his hand.

I splashed him in the face with the water. "Bitch. I can kick your ass up and down this fucking island with my hands tied and a blindfold on."

"It was a joke." He wiped his face with an attitude.

"Well then laugh after you say it or else it's not considered a joke." I told him, swimming to the shore.

"Where are you going?" He called after me.

"To get drugs, want to come?" I asked as he got out the water.

"Not funny." He kissed my cheek.

"It was a little. Admit it." I nudged him in the ribs.

"No it wasn't." He walked past me.

We walked back to the house in silence. My phone was ringing but by the time I got there, it stopped. I checked my missed calls. At least every team member called me at least once. I frowned and called Dom, my most recent.

"Katherine." His voice sounded grave.

My world spun as I listened to his words. I swear my heart skipped a beat. Brian took in my facial expression and rushed to me. I could barely hear his words over the ringing in my ears. No. This isn't right. Everything is going to be fine. I need to get back to California. Now.

I shoved the phone at Brian and raced upstairs to the master bedroom, throwing clothes into the suitcases. I dumped all of my skin care products and makeup in my duffel. Brian came up shortly, a frown on his face.

"Baby." He whispered.

"We just have to get back. Everything is going to be okay." I told him.

"Katherine." He grabbed my arm. I whirled around and punched him in the face. I didn't mean to. It just happened, like my body didn't even think. "Brian."

"It's okay." He told me. "It's okay. We have bigger things to worry about. I'll call Nobody. Get his pilot ready."

This honeymoon as supposed to be perfect. Three weeks of absolute joy. Just me and Brian in our own little bubble of peace and love. Nothing ever stays good in the life of a Howard. Either someone is being held hostage or someone is dead. I hate this universe and everything under the sun right about now. I want to disappear from this Earth.

Life sucks.