Chapter 51

"So uh, my kidnapper... I-It was my mum." Oliver held his breath. John had listened to everything he said about being drugged and waking up in a strange room, and then Vinny finding him and his kidnapper suddenly making an appearance.

John watched him with a deepening frown.

"I'm sorry, what?" He could tell by Oliver's worried eyes that he had not misheard him.

"I don't want you to get angry. Dad, I don't think she was very well, she was really different and-"

"Your mother was there?" He interrupted.

Oliver slowly nodded his head.

John sat back in his chair and stared at the bookshelf behind his son. They were sitting in the library. Oliver took him there because he thought it was a nice and peaceful place to release his troubles.

John couldn't think with ease. His ex-wife was behind all this chaos, worry and terror?

"But, she shouldn't have been there. She shouldn't have-" He couldn't finish his sentence. He was so confused about why the mother of his child would want to do that to her own son. "Did she hurt you?"

"She didn't hurt me. But she pointed a gun at Vinny and then herself. Dad, she tried to make me choose who to kill. She went crazy and I didn't know what to do, she had guns and she nearly killed herself. I can't even think clearly. Why would she try and do-" John silenced him with a hug. His mind was racing, but Oliver needed comforting.

"Shhh let's not talk about it right now. Just calm down, everything is going to be okay." He soothed and rubbed Oliver's back.

"But why? Why would she do this?" Oliver swallowed the lump in his throat. He didn't like to get upset, but now that he was letting his mind think back to her, he felt really hurt by it.

John pulled back to see his frustration and his sadness.

"Son, I don't know. I don't know why she would do such a terrible thing. But I'm more than sure we can get her help," He said. "If she was as mentally ill as you say, then she needs the help. But please, don't upset yourself about it. Yes, I'm very angry and upset by this, but we won't benefit by going over the memories, trying to seek answers that we might not get."

John wanted to scream and throw things around, yet he needed to look like the mature person and someone who Oliver could look up to and feel relaxed around. It would also be good if he could take some of his own advice too.

"Can we do that? Can we get her help?"

"Yes, of course, we can. The police will find her if they already haven't and they will help her."

Oliver nodded. He knew she would be found, but he was worried that she'd try and hurt herself again and maybe even Vinny.

"Duke and Madison have gotten maximum security from now on, so you and Vinny don't need to worry about this ever happening again." John was trying to reassure him. "Alright?"

"Okay." Oliver cleared his throat.

They both sat in silence for a moment. Oliver was not holding back his thoughts, it would be better for him to let them run freely instead of burying them away. John was trying to stay calm, but he needed to speak to Duke and Madison about this. They needed to find Oliver's mother.

* * * * *

"I cannot believe that happened." Duke sat back on the couch. They were sitting in the dining room. Vinny was perched opposite his parents, enjoying the soft leather.

"Me neither," He mumbled. He told them about Oliver's mum and the impossible choice she gave to her son, and then he told them about how she almost killed herself.