Chapter 71

"So, we now share our whole soul," Oliver said, trying to explain his bond the best he could, but John still looked confused.

They sat on the couch in the dining room. Vinny talked to his parents who were still sitting at the table. John came home from work shortly after the boys finished their food. Oliver wanted to tell his dad everything that happened.

"How much did you share before?" John asked.

"Only half." Oliver twiddled his thumbs. His dad didn't seem to be in a very good mood.

"Oh," John frowned. "Why?"

Oliver glanced at Vinny who was avoiding Madison's hand that tried ruffling his hair. "If I'm honest, I don't know," Oliver said. His dad wasn't showing much interest and he wondered why he seemed so distant. He didn't like it. They had always been so close.

"Yeah but, there has to be a reason. It can't just happen." John was annoyed about something, but Oliver wasn't sure what. Maybe work was stressful.

"So um..." Oliver hummed, wondering if he should ask about Duke's offer. Changing the subject might be a good thing. "Have you thought any more about you know, turning into a Vampire?"

John glanced at his son and whatever was angering him decided to surface. He did the thing he swore he would never do. He took it out on his son. "Look, don't start with that," he snapped. "I'm sick of you pressuring me about it."

Oliver was beyond surprised. His dad never had an attitude or raised his voice. "I've given you loads of time to think about it. I'm only asking, it's not like I'm forcing you to make a decision right this minute," Oliver said calmly.

"What would you do if I said no, hmm?" John asked while standing up. The Vanderwood's had noticed John's raised voice. They didn't think they had the right to intervene.

"Honestly, I'd be a bit upset," Oliver said truthfully.

"Exactly. You're making me feel guilty and I haven't even made a decision."

"I'm not making you feel anything." Oliver also stood up, matching his dad's height. "What is wrong with you?"

"Wow, now you're bothered about me?" John asked.

The words caught in Oliver's throat and the Vanderwood's turned to see what was going on. "What is that supposed to mean?" Oliver asked quietly. His voice shrank when he started hurting.

"It means, that you're not even spending time with me anymore," John said. "You're always doing something with someone else and I feel like I'm getting pushed out."

Oliver shook his head and looked at the floor. "You're jealous? Is that why you're shouting at me?" he asked while crossing his arms.

"I'm angry because I feel like I'm losing my son!" John yelled.

Oliver stared at him, seeing only pain in his father's eyes. "I'm right here," he said, feeling Vinny's eyes on him. "You could've talked to me about how you felt."

"You're not though, Oliver. It's like we live two completely different lives. I have no idea what's happening any more. Things are changing too quickly." John turned to leave, but Oliver grabbed his arm.

"Dad, why didn't you just talk to me?"

"Because I feel like I can't."

John's words destroyed Oliver's feelings and Vinny felt it, like a sword right through his heart.

John then pulled his arm from his son's grip and stomped out of the dining room. Oliver watched him leave. He couldn't believe he just had an argument with his dad. It was the first serious one they've had in years.